When in Shanghai, eat as the Shanghainese eat!

Seafood galore!

2 months of living in Shanghai and encountering various 'shocks', I think I was ready to step into their local wet market. (We cannot possibly be living on imported goods throughout our stay here) After garnering all the courage I have, I walked right into a wet market... I was blown away by what I saw.


Inside the wet market...it was drier than some of our wet makets.

Shanghai is famous for its hairy crabs and the best ones are from Yang Chen Hu.


Choosing the crabs, I had Zhou xian sheng to give me some tips on how to choose. The lady was very honest, every crab's weight was shown to me, I didn't feel it was necessary but she insisted. I told her I was going to take her picture, she was so shy about it...


Each crab was then given a good scrub and lastly, skilfully tied up. You and I would probably take half an hour to tie each crab. She did it in seconds!


There you have it. Great job!


You won't believe how much the abalone cost...............S$2/-(about the size of a Chinese pear) and bamboo clams only S$2 for this lot.

And now, presenting the delicious and mouth-watering Shanghainese hairy crabs....



Yes, yes...high cholesterol. But we cannot go through life fearing everything we put into our mouths...eat in moderation





No comments:

Post a Comment