Be a certified dim sum chef

The dim sum school adminstrator walked into the kitchen and handed me a book and a stack of exam papers. She asked me to sit for the professional Shanghai dim sum chef exams. I stared at the stack of papers while my dim sum teacher was nagging me to go for it. She said I will surely pass the practical exams but, but....

I stared again at the stack of papers and the thousand of tiny Chinese characters were staring back at me. They recognised me for sure but I did't recognise them. Hello...these are not your simple Chinese characters of 'tian', 'de', 'san', 'sui'....they were 'deng fun', 'xiao mai fen', 'lao chou', 'sheng chou'...


Since I have improved in leaps and bounds, my teacher imparted more 'kungfu' to me. Nice, eh


Red bean crepes (Chinese version)


These are jiao zi.

In case, you are wondering what's the difference between one dumpling from another. It all depends on the method of cooking, the type of flour being used, they way the dough is being made, some used cold water, some use warm water. Even rolling pins come in various shapes and sizes. Yes, a lot of knowledge and skill involved and to think we just glupe down a 'har kow' in a split seconds!

No comments:

Post a Comment