The Japanese

I have not travelled round the whole world but I have been to many places. Honestly, the Japanese are the nicest people I have ever come across. I find them nice not because they are nice to me. I find them nice as in the way they carry themselves, the way they look after the environment, the way they show consideration towards others. No matter where I have my meals, every table will be cleaned up for the next person to use. The people who clean up are the very people who have used the table. The staff are there to wipe the tables only. All utensils are put away by the consumers. Singapore is a clean city (is it still a clean city?) because we have foreign workers to clean up. Japan is a clean country because the people, for years, they have been taught to clean up so others can use. From the very old to the very young, they have cultivated and kept this virtue all through the years. What make them so successful in this area? What did they do right for decades and decades?

Strangers I have met are such wonderful people. Even in Tokyo, a big city, I have not met any hostile people. At most, they just maintained a serious look but they will never be unfriendly. Asking for directions,  if they don't speak English and cannot help, they will be very apologetic.
They are people who love and respect each other. They are people who love and respect their environment…

DSC02880
That morning, we were at the bus station waiting to collect our tickets for the local tour. There was a long Q. What happened was the system broke down and every ticket had to be hand-written. It took a long time for them to issue the tickets to everyone. You know, no one complained, no one got impatient, no one was angry (at least they didn't show it), no one was rude. It was amazing. I can imagine, had it happen in Singapore or Shanghai, the scene would be quite different.

DSC03363DSC03217
DSC03413DSC03364
Very clear blue sky. I just can't have enough of it!

DSC03191
Even the night sky is beautiful

DSC02897DSC02907
DSC03444
Not every place must make way for big malls


DSC03215DSC03265
Spotlessly clean train station

DSC03220DSC03221
I would love to stay in one of these…bring me away from the maddening crowd, let me smell the flowers and hear the crickets

DSC03361DSC03362
This is downtown Sapporo in the morning. Clean street. I am not exaggerating when I say that I could hardly spot a sweeper on the street

DSC03247DSC03249
What are these people doing heading to the same direction? Yes, to return the dishes. Even mother with young kid is doing the same thing. That's how the young are being educated. For your information, that is a food-court

DSC04335DSC04336
At the Narita airport, because of the March 11 disaster, they are conserving energy. Lights are dimmed, air-con  usage is being cut down. Fans like the blue one are placed all over the airport for passengers to use. Yes, everyone was doing their part.

DSC02877
So did I….

"Japan...... rife with mystery, beauty, exoticism and grace.

...when you leave a meal, moment, or place not quite completely satisfied, you cherish it that much more because it was ephemeral and left you wanting"  Victoria Abbott Riccardi – Untangling my chopsticks

We will be back…for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment