My son, my pride
Kai was made a student councilor. Am I proud of him? Of course I am. I am also very happy that there are teachers who trust him and see what lies beneath him.

I know my son. Often, I told him that he was inside me for nine months, how could I not know him. He is a bright boy and he often needs challenges. Believe me, it is not easy being his mum. He needs plenty of motivations and discipline. I need to give him lots of space yet not all the space. I have to give him lots of trust yet still watch over him like a hawk. Sometimes, an extra pair of shoes or an extra handbag has to make way for his ferocious reading habit! Thank God, he has the habit of re-reading his old books. Otherwise, I will be running a library! However, that also means we must make space not just for him but for his books too!

He drives me up the wall with his constant forgetfulness. Sometimes, I wonder if he needs a brain scan. At such a young age, he has such short memory, it also gets me worried. Just last week, he was to have his Science test. He came home without his Science textbook. I questioned him how would he expect himself to study without his textbook. I then made him sit down and write down all the information he knew about the topic to be tested. He really did, he gave me three full pages of them and they were mostly correct! Yesterday, he came home with his Science test paper, just five marks short of a perfect score! Perhaps, I need to change - one may not need to have his textbook in order to know the facts!

He has had his valley moments. In his 10 years on earth, he has crossed path with teachers who looked at his hyper thirst for knowledge as being 'naughty' and a 'nuisance'. He has been asked to leave his classroom, he has been pulled out of lessons, not because he was naughty but because he wanted more. It was one of his 'downest" moment and my darknest moment. How to you get a teacher to understand him when she is not trained to handle kids like him. How do you crack a nut head to see that his mum is not defending him but trying to help the teacher to help him.

Finally, we found a school with teachers who could look beyond that naughty handsome face! I pray that with this new role in his life, it will make him a better and wiser person! Dh is right to say that God sent us here for the kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment