Reading…

It was the school Library Week and I have volunteered to be a guest reader for the kids. It was really great reading to the kids and you know something, kids loved to be read to. Reading by themselves is very different to have someone reading to them. Kai who is a reader and can easily read by himself, still enjoys having me reading to him.

I had six reading sessions altogether, ranging from grade 4 to grade 6. I started off at a grade 6 class. I chose two books to read. The Invisible Man by HG Wells and The Merchant of Venice by William Shakespeare. Oh yes, I even did a magic treat. You should have been there to look at the kids' expressions.

You want to know something? The kids were captivated by Shakespeare's The Merchant of Venice. They were very excited and wanted to find out if Shylock actually managed to cut off the pound of flesh. Don't think Shakespeare is boring and the kids won't like him. Just make sure you don't give them the original, unedited copy.

Do read to your kids, even though they may not enjoy reading but they surely enjoy having papa or mama reading to them. You really don't have to restrict yourself to just story books. It could be your child's favourite magazine, an interesting article, an advertisement, road signs….anything that has words. The thing is to make it interesting for them.

Kai has assigned me and insisted that I should read one of his books, Diana Wynne Jones' Howl's Moving Castle. Fine, that will be my next book after I am done with my Mr China...A WallStreet banker, an Englishman, an ex-Red Guard and $418,000,000 disappearing, day by day. By Tim Clissold

No comments:

Post a Comment