Always be vigilant

Received this in my email today…when the great divide is getting greater, anything can happen.

Security Alert Top
There has been another security alert issued this time by Concordia School which, again, is in Jinqiao, Pudong. It also concerns the apparent attempted abduction of students in the street. The police have already been contacted and it is unlikely that this was a misunderstanding. Please read the following email sent out to parents. It is recommended that parents remind children of safety practices when outside the home. And also that Ayis and Drivers are informed so that they too can help keep our neighbourhoods safer.

Dear Parents,
We wanted to make you aware of a report received by the school today involving students in our neighborhood and the response from Concordia.
Incident:
Sunday evening two students were walking on Mingyue Road near the Royal Garden complex. A white, 4-door vehicle pulled up and a man jumped out and tried to grab two high school aged students. Fortunately, the students were able to get away and with their parent’s assistance have been working with the Public Security Bureau (PSB).

I will of course update you if I receive any further information and again remind you and your families to remain vigilant.

Regards
Mr. Paul Friend
Headmaster


亲爱的家长,
我们希望知会大家我们知晓的另外一个发生在我们社区的学生事件,并且让你们知道我校将采取应对措施。


事件:
周日晚上名学生在靠近浦东花园别墅的明月路上行走。一辆白色、四门的车子开过来,一名男子从车里下来试图抓住两个高中生。幸运地是,两名学生顺利地逃脱并且在家长的帮助下与已经警方沟通中。


准备
看起来充满自信
避免风险
决不假设事情不会发生在自己身上


Each time when such news are released to the foreigners, you usually have two very instinct group of people talking. One group, I call them the 'act-tough-hero' who will say things like, "nothing to worry about, everywhere you go, everywhere you live, there are sure to have cases like this". Another group will be the 'super-extreme-paranoids' who will worry and fear for every movement they take.

I wouldn't take it lightly. In fact, I never did. Every piece of news I received, I take it seriously but I will not allow it to mess up my life. Life still has to go on, kids still need to go to school, the spouse still needs to work and I still need to cook but I stay vigilant at all times. Although I have a helper and company's transport, I still make sure I fetch and pick the kids up myself. There is no proxy when it comes to the welfare of my children especially in a foreign land.

No comments:

Post a Comment