Just about everything…

Haven't been writing for a while her cos' I have been busy attending Zumba classes. I must cos' I am going to feast! Busy with buying last minute stuff to bring home and of course packing, packing and packing. Thank God I am a type A person. A lot of stuff have been packed way ahead and yes, still packing. *Gasp*

The other reason is because I have been following the news of the big MRT breakdown back home! It concerned me greatly because my family depends on the MRT a whole lot. In fact, most of my fellow countrymen also depend on it. Prior to this biggy, there have been numerous minor breakdowns, a signal sent out to the people in charge that something was wrong, very wrong. But no one took it seriously and the system finally collapsed. The greatest blessing out of this was that there were no loss of lives.

I wrote in to the papers to question about the passenger limit and it was published…

Trains should have passenger limits

Published on Dec 20, 2011
SMRT says a train's back-up system, powered by a battery, should last 45 minutes ('Emergency power should have kicked in' and 'Don't break the windows: SMRT'; both last Saturday).
But if the carriage is packed to the brim, 45 minutes is too long to wait and that leaves the passengers with no choice but to break windows.
Staying calm and waiting for help will not keep people from suffocating. When the air is thin, even five minutes is crucial. We have always been told to think out of the box, and breaking the windows in times like this seems the wisest thing to do.
SMRT's senior vice-president for communications and services, Mr Goh Chee Kong, said the train was very crowded, so some people may have felt there was no ventilation.
Were the carriages packed beyond capacity so passengers could not feel the air coming from the ventilators? Are carriages too heavy, so the weight destroys the collector shoes?
Buses and taxis have a limit on the number of passengers they can carry. What about train carriages? Should there not be a limit?
Shirley Woon (Madam)
 
I contributed quite a fair bit to the forum page. How much of it will be read and action taken. I really do not know. But what I do know is that I speak my mind, I write my mind. At the end of the day, I will live with no regrets of what I should or should not have done.

p/s: actually one company which I wrote in to voice my concern some years back, actually took up my suggestion and made changes to the way they do things. So, don't think your thoughts are not important, they are and they do make a difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment