Brown rice

I have never tasted brown rice before until I went to the US. A new Chinese restaurant which we visited, offered a choice of brown rice or white rice to go with the dishes. For a change and the foodie adventurer inside me, decided to give the brown rice a try. After that, there was no turning back.

Brown rice is basically unpolished rice where the bran is still attached to the rice grain. There are basically two types of brown rice, the fully unpolished rice (whole bran still attached) and the partially unpolished rice (some bran removed). For first-timers, I would suggest that you go for the partially unpolished rice first. It will be easiler on your taste bud.

When the bran is fully removed, we get our white rice which most of us are used to eating. However, when the bran is removed, most of the nutrients, such as fiber and bran oil, are also removed. Bran oil is known to reduce the bad cholesterol in our body without reducing the good cholesterol. In my last medical check-up, my doctor told me that my cholesterol level was high but it was no cause for concern as I have unusually high level of the good cholesterol. That reminds me, I am due for my next medical check-up again.

Goggle and you will find many discussions on the benefits of eating brown rice.

Cooking brown rice is not the same as cooking white rice but it is not difficult to cook either.

Before cooking, soak brown rice in water for a few minutes, drain away the water...1 cup of brown rice to 2 1/2 cups of water. Cook until the water is all soaked up and lower the fire and cook until the rice is fully cooked (usually about 25 mins). I prefer 'hard' rice. I don't enjoy eating soft rice, for me, I usually just add 2 cups of water.


My claypot of brown rice...I can eat it by itself

Having found out all the benefits of eating brown rice, my next task is to convert my family to eat brown rice. It is impossible to make the drastic change all of a sudden, to help them ease into this new found food, I have to do it slowly. One of the ways, mix the brown rice with white rice and eventually...do a complete conversion!

Making food more interesting

Instead of the square or rectangular shaped sandwiches, using a toast cutter to create various shapes of bread can make eating the humble bread more interesting and colourful. If you have problem finding a toast cutter, cookie cutter can also do the job.


Ann loves these dinosaur-shaped bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment