A tribute to fathers

My earthly father
Father is the typical traditional Chinese man. He doesn't help out with the house chores but he cooks a mean Hainanese mutton soup and fish slice soup ,鱼片汤.  When I was younger, I didn't like father a lot because he was the strict and authoritarian type. It was only when I grew older, have my own family that I began to understand and admire him a lot. Father dropped out of school at eight years old, (only primary two!) By 12 years old, he was already working at Shenton Way, serving the office clerks their daily coffee. He was a kopi-boy. From there, he found his niche, like what they always say, the rest is history. In my opinion, father is like the rich dad in the book, Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki. He has a very sharp mind and he counts faster, I dare say, than some of the great Mathematicians. It is amazing, without even completing his primary school education, father could raise all of us. My sister and I studied till pre-university. Worked and paid for our own university education. Father saw my brother all the way through his university.  Although he was fierce, he didn't deny any of us a proper education, a roof over our heads and three decent meals everyday. In every way, he is a very responsible father although his idiosyncrasies sometimes, do get on my nerves. Father's greatest virtue is his punctuality. He cannot tolerate tardiness. Hahaha, among the three of us, I think I am the only one who has inherited this genes. But, I am more gracious. I will wait till you turned up. My longest waiting time was three hours! For father, he is not just punctual but he is early. If the appointment is 6pm, he will be there at 5.30pm. If you are late, he made no apologies in telling you off.

Now father spends most of his time taking walks, playing a little mahjong and fetching his favourite grandson from school. Always wearing his Indiana Jones' hat. It was a Christmas gift from my brother. A leather cowboy hat which looked very much like the one Harrison Ford wore in Indiana Jones. Actually, Kai was the one who noticed it first.

Father doesn't smoke at all even among his brothers who are all smokers, he has never picked up the habit. He is a great father in his own way.

My heavenly father
Words cannot describe how He is like. It takes a personal experience with Him to know Him. When I said, it is a personal relationship with Him, others who have not experienced Him said things like, "all are religion". Oh how myopic are the thoughts of some people. But really, no point arguing cos' what do I gain in winning an argument about my heavenly father. It will only draw them away from this experience. I have known Him for 30 over years, that's a long time. Some friends have given up the relationship along the way, some have built even stronger love relationship with Him. As for me, I cannot see myself without Him. He has always been there, not seen but always felt. Not heard but always read. This song best described my journey with Him

You are my strength when I am weak
You are the treasure that I seek
You are my all in all

Seeking You as a precious jewel
Lord, to give up I'd be a fool
You are my all in all

Taking my sin, my cross, my shame
Rising up again I bless Your name
You are my all in all

When I fall down You pick me up
When I am dry You fill my cup
You are my all in all

Jesus, Lamb of God
Worthy is Your name
Jesus, Lamb of God
Worthy is Your name

You are my strength when I am weak
You are the treasure that I seek
You are my all in all

Seeking You as a precious jewel
Lord, to give up I'd be a fool
You are my all in all

When I fall down You pick me up
When I get dry You fill my cup
You are my all in all

When I am sad you dry my tears
When I am scared you calm my fears
You are my all in all

When I am with You I'm alive
When You seem gone feels like I've died
You are my all in all

Jesus, Lamb of God
Worthy is Your name
Jesus, Lamb of God
Worthy is Your name

My children's father
The spouse is my children's father. The greatest father to them. I remembered on dh's birthday, Kai was very busy with his homework that night that he didn't have time to do the birthday card for his father, he started crying. That's how much his father meant to him. Yes, he is a great companion to Kai and Ann. When they were little, they loved to climb all over him. He was everything to them, a swordsman, a super hero, a doctor, a teacher...everything. Sometimes, I wonder if he has forgotten to be THE spouse. *wink*

A journey through the years…
P1000461P1020161DSCN1507DSCN1531DSCN6927PB140084PC170062playdocw1y5DSCN7024with carters 073
To all fathers, while your kids are still demanding for your time, do give it to them. Cos, the time will come when they will no longer have the time to demand for your time. Do not allow work to rob your  time with your kids.

DSC02698
A simple father's day cake, making use of whatever that's available. Happy Father's Day to all fathers!

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic pics. Hope Yang Lik Shian had a very good Papa's Day.

    ReplyDelete