But you don't have a helper?

This was my conversation with a mama while waiting for the kids at school…

me : Hi, haven't seen you for sometime?
mama : Yes, cos' these days, I come later. Heard you are going home soon?
me : Yes, at the end of the school year, we will be heading home. My son will finish P6 and will start secondary school back home.
mama : Such a hassle to look for school.
me : No hassle at all. We will look for school when we get back. Wrote to MOE, they will assist us. It has been a long while, time to go home.
mama : So, which place do you prefer?
me : US, of course!
mama : But you don't have a helper there?

...errr, hello,  why would having a helper make a place better to live in? In SG, my helper came in once a week. Even now, my helper comes in only twice a week to help me with the ironing which I really don't like to do. 

Honestly, I find it hard to accept the fact that some people need a helper all day long. Kids are at school from 8am to 3.30pm every day. So much can be done during this period of time.   I know of mamas who would just leave dishes in the sink overnight and wait for their helper to come the next morning to wash them. I know of mamas who literally leave everything to their helper…But you know what? When the helper report sick or has to take leave, these mamas will scream for help. At a lost, don't know what to do. I think I will never allow myself to be caught in that position.  Maybe I am a type A person. I need to have things to do, I need to be working. I cannot just don't do anything. It just doesn't work for me. Different strokes, different folks!

2 comments:

  1. I have a helper who comes once a fortnight to help clean the house and iron clothes. In between, the four of us share the chores around the house. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger. I don't want my girls to grow up dependent on helpers. I want them to be independent and have life skills to survive too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, completely agree with you. We cannot live a life by allowing someone to run our life.

    ReplyDelete